BORDERS OF THE SPECIAL NATURE RESERVE AND THE PROTECTED AREA
When considering the use of the reserve’s resources, human activities must not endanger the ecological characteristics of the area. Total area of conservation stretches on 5480 ha 94 a 04 m2.
Three levels of protection regime have been established in the Reserve:
- 1 Potection regime of the first degree covers 165 ha 75 and 90 m2 or 3.02%
- 2 Protection regime of the second degree covers 3160 ha 78 and 75 m2 or 57.67%
- 3 Protection regime of the third degree covers 2154 ha 39 and 39 m2 or 39.31%.
The total area of the protection zone equals to 4143 ha. For the purpose of integral protection and preservation of ecosystem connections and all distinctive natural assets of the reserve, three levels of protection have been established. In the entire area of the Special Nature Reserve “Okanj bara” the following is strictly prohibited: hydromelioration (drilling wells, construction of canals and irrigation systems), construction – except for works that are in the function of improving the ecological conditions of habitats; researching of the natural resources, as well as other types of activities which change the basic characteristics of the habitat; construction of buildings, except for shepherds’ huts and sheep pens; grazing pigs; afforestation of habitats and placing landfills, as well as garbage disposal. This ensures the permanent monitoring of the condition and improvement of all types of habitats, ecosystems plant and animal species, especially natural rarities.
PROTECTION REGIME OF THE FIRST DEGREE
1. The use of natural resources and the construction of facilities are prohibited.
2. Works and activities are limited to:
1) Scientific research and monitoring of natural processes;
2) Controlled visit for educational, recreational and cultural purposes.
3) Implementation of protective, remedial and other necessary measures in case of fire, natural disasters and accidents, occurrence of plant and animal diseases and overpopulation of pests;
4) Intervention measures for the protection of ecosystems under special conditions for nature protection.
Fig. 5: A map of the area under the protection regime of the first degree
ROTECTION REGIME OF THE SECOND DEGREE
In addition to the restrictions defined by law, the following is prohibited:
1) Removal of grass cover with a surface layer of soil;
2) Removal of coastal vegetation;
3) Mowing the meadows using heavy machinery;
4) Driving vehicles and agricultural machinery off the roads;
5) Access to visitors in the period from April 1 to July 1 without the escort of the guard service;
6) Gathering of a larger number of people and holding events.
Works and activities are limited to:
1) Controlled grazing according to a special programme;
2) Controlled reed cutting;
3) Mowing of meadows after fruiting of protected plant species (after June 15);
4) Observation, but only from places provided for that purpose (lookouts), without moving around the Reserve;
5) Tracing and constucting access paths to the lookouts;
6) Melioration activities that do not disturb the natural dynamics of the water regime.
1. Reducing the number of foxes,
2. Occasional flooding of wet, saline meadows and reeds,
3. Hunting according to the law,
4. Mowing meadows after July 15,
5. Tourism, provided that the access to the observation sites must take place along a determined route.
Figure 5: A map of the area under the protection regime of the second degree
PROTECTION REGIME OF THE THIRD DEGREE
The following is strictly prohibited:
1) Plowing the fields to the very borders of the depression;
2) Use of pesticides from the group of chlorinated hydrocarbons and methyl bromide at a distance of less than 50 m, and other pesticides (zoocides, fungicides, herbicides) at a distance of less than 20m from the canals and edges of fields;
3) Construction of commercial fish ponds;
4) Afforestation and plowing of grass habitats, meadows and pastures;
5) Maintenance of canals by burning vegetation in, next to and on the slopes of canals;
6) Raising wind protection greenery that is not for the purpose of protecting natural assets of the reserve;
7) Melioration of meadows and pastures;
8) Bird harassment, especially during the nesting period (April 1-July 31);
9) Hunting of small game from April 1 to July 1;
10) Hunting at a distance of less than 200 m from Okanj pond and shooting in the direction of the area under the protection regime of the first degree;
11) Discharge of water below class II quality into the recipient.
Activities are limited to:
1) Change of purpose of certain areas if revitalization and improvement of natural habitats is necessary;
2) Construction of facilities and infrastructure for sustainable use and management of the protected area, maintenance of existing facilities, and installation of underground lines next to the existing infrastructure;
3) Mosaic burning of grass vegetation for habitat revitalization, following a special project and rules of nature protection;
4) Spatially and temporally limited mowing while applying protective measures for flora and fauna;
5) Spatially and temporally limited hunting in order to maintain the health status and number of hunting species;
6) Construction of the road network for maintenance and reconstruction of existing roads.
In addition to the restrictions defined by law, the following activities are on-going:
– Gradual return of agricultural areas to their original state (meadows and pastures), – Reduction of the number of foxes, – Regulated movement of people and vehicles, – Restoration of reedbeds, – Limited and selective use of artificial fertilizers and plant protection products.
Figure 5: A map of the area under the protection regime of the third degree